Thursday, April 9, 2009
GRM 815 - 2
It was mentioned in class taht someone would like to know more of what I was doing so this entry should cover it thematically, hopefully. My first activity I created was on a Krampus Webquest. The goal was that the students would find information on the web, and compare the Austrian christmas tradition, with their own experiences, and Germany's. I revised it by putting more distinct instructions for the teachers and using an english site for information to make it more appropriate for 102 students. I think I might have been able to use the German wikipedia site if I gave links to the different sections of text and gave instructions on when paragraphs the info could be found. I also changed the submission from email to a Googledoc editted by the class. My second activity dealt with "Der Vorleser" (the film). I found a couple articles in German online (one about the Films content, the other a review). I copied them to a document and linked some words to LEO. The review compared the opening weekends in America and Germany. and In the american opening with Valkyrie. Which Valkyrie did better. I made some comprehension questions about the articles and then there would be a discussion forum in which the students should try to tease out why one film did better where, what that could say about the tastes of that society, and the culture, and how we relate to that part of history. My third activity deals with Kasperl, showing clips, then sending the students into the web for more info, and then a synchronous discussion forum, about Kasperl and similar american performances and figures. Hopefully the students would come to see similarities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The second activity is highly intriguing. You deal with a single fact--opening-day opinion and/or sales--and then work with more salient cultural understanding to create what should be a decent discussion.
ReplyDeleteLike I said earlier, I really like how you approach culture in your activities. I also really liked how you put links into your documents. I think the link to the ppt from the word instruction sheet is really helpful for instructors. Also the links to leo in the text probably also help the students.
ReplyDeleteYou describe a lot of changes in your activity description. Did these changes also influence your teaching practice?
Which of your activities did you end up piloting in class, or did you run all three?
ReplyDeleteHow did it turn out?