2 more annotated activities.
Senta suggested that I make 2 more annotated activities because I'm working for both classes. This past week I worked on them and found it harder to decide what to do than before. I ultimately decided on working with tourism and Rotkäppchen.
For tourism:
I wanted the students to think about what different people's goals may be when visiting a place. So to start the activity I have the students discussing and deciding where the students would take a student, a young married couple, a family (2kids 8,12), or a couple of retirees in the lansing area to give them an idea of what american life and culture is like. the goal in this was that they should negotiate and think about what would be appropriate for the different groups.
the second part involved the clear conversations tool. They then answered questions about their home town for one these demographics. I was hoping that this would then get them further thinking about appropriateness of a trip.
The final part was for them to plan a trip to a german, austrian, or swiss city. I picked out only dresden, salzburg, and zürich but there could be any number of options. They were also given a specific amount of money, I also gave a limitted number of options for this but there could again be more. The goal would be that they would take the framework they used in the previous parts and then create an itinerary within their means, that is appropriate, and would give them a feel for german life and culture. It may be an interesting activity to test later but not right now.
Rotkäppchen:
This activity get framed with questions about Märchen and then having the students tell the story of Rotkäppchen. The students are provided with a link to a simplified German version of it, so that the language isn't as intimidating or challenging. then they are asked to point out the differences and find some more versions of the story online. the next day in class I would show the video of the Märchenstunde version, which was a tv mini-series in austria. then they would be asked about the differences in that and the versions they found, then it would be expanded to include the necessary details for the story, and what it means, and speculation about why there are the differences. It's possible that by understanding the essentials for the text, and how it differs they could conclude things about the times and regions. It also asks students for similar stories they know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked your first activity, except that I thought that second part did not match with the first. But I thought it was a nice activity to make students aware of other people and other people's agendas.
ReplyDelete