Monday, April 20, 2009

GRM 815 - 3

This blog is about the activity pilot and is focusing on the content part of it. I piloted the Krampus webquest with my students. They found it interesting but long. I think I could probably cut it down a little more, but it should be doable in the future as well. I was surprised that most students didn't mention a figure in their culture which punished bad children. Only a couple mentioned anything, 1 the boogeyman, 1 a witch. They then said that their siblings told them about these figures not their parents. I was surprised by that because my parents told me about the boogeyman as a child. I wonder if that is emblematic of some sort of parenting shift. I was spanked as a child, but my little brother really only got timeouts (those are ridiculous). I was far more afraid of a spanking than a timeout. My sister and I would actually do the counting for our parents. One student said his family wasn't much for fairy tales so he didn't know of any. I wonder if these boogeymen are going extinct, although they are getting propagated in movies, but then the target is no longer necessarily bad children. There wasn't a lot of interaction between the students, so in the future I would require that the student review each others posts. that way in class they could then ask more questions of each other. Because of this pilot I decided I wanted to pilot the "der Vorleser" activity. It was advantageous because the campus cinema was showing it this past weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Spanking is an interesting huge cultural difference. I know in certain communities in this country it is fairly accpetable, if not expected. In my country it is actually illegal. Personally, I would never want my child to be afraid of me in any form. Respect me, yes. but not afraid of me.

    ReplyDelete